3.0 question (low priority)

Ivan Smahin ivan_smahin at valentina-db.com
Fri Dec 15 18:47:52 CST 2006

Hello John,

>> For Valentina 3.0 we plan add such things as
>>
>>     * transactions
>>     * in support of above a new field type -Timestamp
>>
>> I think this timestamp also can be useful for your task.
>>

> So a timestamp field would automatically update each time the record was
> modified?  That could be very helpful.
> I'm assuming it would be OS time.  This can make things a little
> difficult with timezones.  If you could make it strictly Greenwich Mean
> Time(GMT)-0 based, that could help a lot.

I'm afraid the  timestamps  would never be implemented as a time. It is just a
value  which  can  be  incremented only by the system. You will not be
able  to  use  this field for writing and read it as a time. Actually
you will be able to use this field in some comparisons only.

Just a single reason to be not simple time there.
Assume  I  set  system  time incorrect and have no way to connect some
time-services... So you will have a mess instead of
timestamps.

 Ivan                            mailto:ivan_smahin ÎÁ valentina-db.com