Release Schedules and Feedback on Fixes

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Fri Dec 15 06:26:14 CST 2006

>On 12/06/12 1:59 PM, "Robert Brenstein" <rjb at robelko.com> wrote:
>
>Hi Robert,
>
>>  Lynn and Ruslan,
>>
>>  Is there any hope that Paradigma starts branching Valentina releases?
>>  With 2.6 perceived as a strong base, it may be the right time to
>>  consider seriously the introduction of branching into Valentina's
>>  development process.
>
>We agree totally.
>We will spend time and make efforts to learn deeply how to use CVS branches.

This would be really great. Head-only (single-branch) development is
fine for simple products which Valentina is not. Using branching is
not that complicated once you wrap your head around it, and as I
wrote in the other email, it can benefit both you and us in a number
of ways.

>  > This relentless push forward by mixing bug fixes and implementing new
>>  features (introducing new bugs and breaking working code in the
>>  process) may be leaving some, and I suspect mot so few, users behind,
>
>I have told in prev letter.
>
>In BIG CONTRAST to v1, now we have big set of regression tests.
>While we add new feature, we always get some tests broken,
>And then we spend as many time as required to fix all back.
>Only after this we start make even beta builds.

It is great that you do these tests and I know they are extremely
helpful for the development, but they test only what you programmed
to test. The fact is that bugs are still found after this testing.

When was the last release that was deemed truly stable and without
known bugs in new or old code? If you check release notes, each
successive release has multiple bug fixes and improvements/features
added.

As somebody else said, it is the perception of bugs that can be more
damaging than the bugs themselves. And if there is a perception that
database files are getting corrupted upon usage, it is even more
serious problem (even if ultimately the mistake lies with Valentina
developer not Valentina itself).

>  > some even abandoning Valentina altogether. Each time I try to keep up
>>  with the new releases of Valentina, I feel like I am in a rat race,
>>  spending more time dealing with Valentina than my products since, at
>>  least in my case, I need to sync Valentina on at least 4-5 computers.
>
>Robert, as I know you do not use Valentina 2 at all.
>Am I right ?

Well, that is not quite right. I haven't officially upgraded to v2
since my main program still runs with V1. With 1.9.6 not even 1.9.11,
so I'd need to make a double jump to switch it to v2. As things are,
it is a big effort to just keep up with implementing features needed
by the users. At the same time, I tried to keep tabs on v2 progress
in the demo mode for quite a while since I have also been working on
a new product for both v1 and v2 last several months. You may recall
me being fairly active with testing some earlier releases. But I
could not keep up. I want to catch up again, although my lurking on
Valentina lists does not make me confident enough to switch fully to
V2 yet.

Robert