Release Schedules and Feedback on Fixes

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Mon Dec 11 09:56:37 CST 2006

> So why this post? To ask that you please examine the
> corrupted databases that our uses can send to us to see if
> you can find a pattern, or at least a subset of  problem
> areas (e.g. with VarChar fields, which seem to me to be the
> source of a lot of issues)? I can probably send you a dozen
> reported by my users within a week.

I want to reiterate Ruslan's comments to remind everyone that we have an
engineering team that looks at issues/crash logs/sample dbs and that they
are there to test, confirm and ultimately fix the problem. If you've been
with us for a while, you know that once we have enough information, we fix
the problem. Databases are infrastructure and an infrastructure must be
solid. We don't work on a 90 day cycle - we work on a NOW cycle :-)

At the same time - do not delay in providing feedback/logs/test dbs.

As you may know, we've been filling in some features that were promised in
the 2.x product lifecycle, like UTF-8 support.  Our original plan was finish
"feature fill" with 2.5, however we've decided to make it 2.6. 2.6
represents the solid base which is Valentina 2 - a transition that, if
you've been with us since Valentina 1.x has been a very long road indeed
(but given all the shipping apps out there based around Valentina 2.x, not a
bad one at all!).

With a strong 2.6 base, we begin longer term planning along with incremental
fixes. There isnt wholesale replacement of technology - we did that already
with the transition from Valentina 1.x to Valentina 2.x.

What this means is - if you have remained quiet about a pet issue or havent
sent in a sample db for an issue you filed weeks ago - now is the time to do
it, before we release 2.6. Our goal is to set our engineers working to solve
_all_ outstanding issues while the rest of us are enjoying our cups of
eggnog :-)

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software, Inc

Joining Worlds of Information

Deploy True Client-Server Database Solutions
Royalty Free with Valentina Developer Network