Still too many bugs/instability

jda jda at his.com
Mon Dec 11 11:38:44 CST 2006

Hi Ruslan,

Now that 2.5 is out and I released an update of my app, I've had a
chance to reflect a bit. I recently realized that approximately 80%
of the tech support issues I have to deal with every day are due to
instability of Valentina databases. That's a lot! The problems range
from crashing (the most important) to failure to find text (index
problems) to sometime just flaky behavior. In most cases Repair of
the database or export/import (my own function) is required to fix it.

This is not good. My users don't understand, and if they did they
wouldn't care -- they perceive crashes and the like as problems with
my app (which they are) and I lose sales, goodwill, etc. I have
reported well over 100 bugs to Paradigma, most of which have been
fixed. But there remain serious problems. I know you want simple ways
to reproduce these problems, but that is NOT always possible when
they require multiple steps to generate, and they are being reported
by users. All I know is that I get cries for help -- my app is always
crashing! What do I do? And I tell them to rebuild their database and
it (usually) goes away. But it often happens again weeks or months
later, and my app begins to look pretty unstable.

So why this post? To ask that you please examine the corrupted
databases that our uses can send to us to see if you can find a
pattern, or at least a subset of  problem areas (e.g. with VarChar
fields, which seem to me to be the source of a lot of issues)? I can
probably send you a dozen reported by my users within a week.

Thanks,

Jon