[V4RB] 2.x Carbon/Mach-O Plugin Reqs

Russ Tyndall fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Wed Apr 12 14:24:06 CDT 2006

On 4/12/06 12:16 PM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> On 4/12/06 6:42 PM, "Russ Tyndall" <fitzbew at nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Russ,
>
>> Ruslan,
>>
>> Trying to make sure I understand RB2006/OS X V4RB 2.x requirements.  I am
>> getting unexpected exceptions, but I'm sure I have just misunderstood
>> something.
>>
>> Developing in OS X.4.5 using RB2006r1:
>>
>> 1) Development machine *must* have carbon version of Vcomponents folder
>> installed in /Library/CFMSupport/.
>
> yes
>
>> 2) With the "V4RB" plugin installed in the RB IDE, developer may debug in
>> PEF or Mach-O but target machine must have carbon version of Vcomponents in
>> CFMSupport folder.
>
> What means target machine?

Machine that you are debugging to.  If debugging to a X.2.8 or X.3.9 machine
from a X.4.6 dev machine, the target machine must have Vcomponents in
CFMSupport library, correct?  Perhaps I should not ask this until I
understand answer to question below about differences between Macho and
Carbon plugins.

>> Developer may remote debug to Win32, if Win32 machine
>> has Vcomponents installed.
>
> yes
>
>> With "V4RB" plugin, built apps are not stand-alone, receiving machine must
>> have Vcomponents installed (and recognized).
>
> Yes, you need do some kind of installer.
> But even better use Package fro your app. See our docs how to
>

>> 3) With the "V4RB_Macho" plugin installed in IDE, developer cannot build
>> Win32 app and cannot remote debug to Win32.
>
> No.
>
> This Should work.
>
> V4RB_MAHO archive contains V4RB.rbx plugin which have 3 targets:
>       Carbon, Macho and Windows
>
> V4RB_MAC archive contains V4RB.rbx plugin which have 2 targets:
>       Carbon and Windows
>
> I.e. Both plugins have Windows target.

I understand. As long as Vcomponents is installed on Win32 machine, plugin
in IDE is irrelevant.

>> Cannot build PEF version, only Mach-O version of app.
>
> Again NO. PEF also

Then I think I have misunderstood what is happening in the IDE.

If I have "V4RB_Macho" plugin installed in IDE, and select "Macho" when I
build app, the V4RB engine expects to have Mach-O Vcomponent libraries
available *inside* the package.

If I have "V4RB" plugin installed in IDE, and select "Macho" when I build
app, the V4RB engine expects to have Carbon Vcomponent libraries available
*outside* the package.

>> Mach-O version of Vcomponents folder must be copied
>> into built app package.
>
> yes

This puzzles me then: If I have Mach-O plugin installed, and Debug as
Mach-O, where does debug compile find the Mach-O libraries?  From within the
plugin itself? Why do I have to add Mach-o Vcomponents later to package?  I
bet this is some limitation of RB IDE/compiler but I am curious.

>> This package (app) should be able to run on any OS X machine, regardless of
>> whether or not target machine has Vcomponents in CFMSupport library.
>
> Yes. Again the same you can do for PEF apps. Se our docs
> Using third party utility.
>
>> 4) Mach-o version of Vcomponents should never be installed in developer's
>> /Library/CFMSupport/ folder.
>
> Nooooooo  :-)
>
> CFMSupport - contains only Carbon shared libs.
>
>> 5) Contents of /Library/CFMSupport/ is irrelevant to Vserver because it is
>> included in Vserver package (if Vserver is on development machine.)
>
> Right
>
>> 6) "V4RB" and "V4RB_macho" plugins *cannot* be in RB IDE at the same time.
>
> yes

Unfortunately, this morning I have having problems similar to what Dave
Addey reported, *but* I am using V4RB_macho plugin (latest, on Apr 10) where
he was using Carbon plugin and debugging to Mach-O.

Are there any other differences between the two Mac plugins?

If I have V4RB plugin installed and try to connect to Vserver 2.3, I get a
demo timeout exception back from Vserver (but that is not true!).  If I have
V4RB_macho installed, I get bad  crash similar to what Dave reported.

I can connect to local databases ok. (on hard drive.)

Everything on my machine is current now, as far as I know.

Russ