[V4RB] 2.x Carbon/Mach-O Plugin Reqs

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Apr 12 19:16:02 CDT 2006

On 4/12/06 6:42 PM, "Russ Tyndall" <fitzbew at nc.rr.com> wrote:

Hi Russ,

> Ruslan,
>
> Trying to make sure I understand RB2006/OS X V4RB 2.x requirements.  I am
> getting unexpected exceptions, but I'm sure I have just misunderstood
> something.
>
> Developing in OS X.4.5 using RB2006r1:
>
> 1) Development machine *must* have carbon version of Vcomponents folder
> installed in /Library/CFMSupport/.

yes

> 2) With the "V4RB" plugin installed in the RB IDE, developer may debug in
> PEF or Mach-O but target machine must have carbon version of Vcomponents in
> CFMSupport folder.

What means target machine?

> Developer may remote debug to Win32, if Win32 machine
> has Vcomponents installed.

yes

> With "V4RB" plugin, built apps are not stand-alone, receiving machine must
> have Vcomponents installed (and recognized).

Yes, you need do some kind of installer.
But even better use Package fro your app. See our docs how to

> 3) With the "V4RB_Macho" plugin installed in IDE, developer cannot build
> Win32 app and cannot remote debug to Win32.

No.

This Should work.

V4RB_MAHO archive contains V4RB.rbx plugin which have 3 targets:
        Carbon, Macho and Windows

V4RB_MAC archive contains V4RB.rbx plugin which have 2 targets:
        Carbon and Windows

I.e. Both plugins have Windows target.

> Cannot build PEF version, only Mach-O version of app.

Again NO. PEF also

> Mach-O version of Vcomponents folder must be copied
> into built app package.

yes

> This package (app) should be able to run on any OS X machine, regardless of
> whether or not target machine has Vcomponents in CFMSupport library.

Yes. Again the same you can do for PEF apps. Se our docs
Using third party utility.

> 4) Mach-o version of Vcomponents should never be installed in developer's
> /Library/CFMSupport/ folder.

Nooooooo  :-)

CFMSupport - contains only Carbon shared libs.

> 5) Contents of /Library/CFMSupport/ is irrelevant to Vserver because it is
> included in Vserver package (if Vserver is on development machine.)

Right

> 6) "V4RB" and "V4RB_macho" plugins *cannot* be in RB IDE at the same time.

yes