V4REV update -- docs -- methods, classes

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Mon Sep 5 05:27:54 CDT 2005

>On Sep 4, 2005, at 12:14 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
>>
>>Okay, just I still confused in "right terms" :-)
>>

>>     Valentina handlers          - ok ?
>>
>>     Valentina function          - ok ?
>
>Yes.  Handler is the name to describe both commands and functions.
>
>>     Valentina method            - bad ?
>
>Yes, bad.
>
>>-------------
>>     Database class              - bad?  Then how ???
>
>It is bad because there is no such thing as a class in transcript.
>If I understand what you are saying, you want to use "Class" because
>that is the underlying C++ architecture.  This is a bad idea.  What
>you have in Transcript is a Database "group" of handlers.  I would
>think that just calling them the Database Handlers would be fine.
>Perhaps Robert has some other ideas.
>

>--
>Trevor DeVore
>Blue Mango Multimedia
>trevor at mangomultimedia.com

I would use "functions" instead of "methods" as Trevor suggests. This
takes advantage of the multiple meaning of word 'function': one as a
subroutine (handler) that returns a value and another as a reference
to a group of related actions contributing to a larger action.

For "class," Trevor is right, there is nothing directly equivalent in
Rev. Essentially, in V4REV implementation, it is just a higher-level
grouping of functions. To distinguish levels, I would probably use
"handlers" where you use "class" in the documentation (like "Table
Handlers" instead of "Class VTable"; yes, no leading V) since
"handlers" is more generic than "functions," and "functions" where
you use "methods" (like "Navigation Functions" instead of "Navigation
Methods").

It would be okay to keep your classes and methods in parentheses
(like "Table Handlers (Class VTable)" and "Navigation Functions
(Navigation Methods)") if that makes you feel better. But I'd have
these only in the headers. The primary reason for this would be to
make things easier for users switching from RB, for example. And your
team possibly :)

Robert