V4REV update -- remove dialog CLOSE BEFORE.

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Fri Sep 2 18:14:46 CDT 2005

>>We should actually be able to open multiple examples at the same
>>time. Then this issue is moot. In real applications, I must be able
>>to do such a thing, so examples might as well test it out.
>
>The problem I see with opening multiple examples is that some
>examples use multiple windows.  One you open two examples you could
>have up to 5 or 6 windows open and you would need to keep track of
>what is doing what.

Actually, the number of windows open is one issue. Another is that, I
think, some of those ancilliary windows are re-used by multiple
examples (like the WProperties stack), so they would need to be
cloned for each example.

However, I think it is possible to redesign things to use a single
window per example, may be with tabs when needed. Yes, some of the
interface stuff will have to be duplicated in multiple stacks but
lots of code can be nicely factored into a library substack. This
will be simpler to handle than cloning and tracking clones. It'd make
each example fully self-contained.

For example, the API_way_Field_Find example: the window could have
two tabs: Example and Database. The latter would be what the
WProperties window is now since this is secondary information. The
former would merge the Example and ShowTable (which shows when Find
is executed) windows. Space for the table can be realized by putting
all variations of find strings into a popup and having a single
'find' button. Then, the popup, 'find' and 'add 10' could be in a
single line with the results table below. Add to that error code
field to round the display.

Being able to open multiple examples will test scenerios with
multiple databases open and put some stress on Rev/V4REV environment,
thus allowing to use this stack not just as examples but also for
testing. This will be a good thing to have IMHO.

Robert