V2 Updates (was [ANN] Valentina for PHP MacOS X 2.1 b1)

jda jda at his.com
Sun Oct 30 04:43:36 CST 2005

>  > No. They said that the db sizes are 2-4 times larger than my main
>>  competitor...
>
>What use competitor? 4D?

Hi Ruslan,

I think yes.

>4D also allocate on start many disk space. May be less than Valentina.
>But you can control that with SegmentSize you know.

You know I'm at the smallest segment size I can be without problems.

>Comparing EMPTY dbs, or dbs with small number of records, yes, Valentina
>looks big. But most space is just empty and reserved.

I know.

>But not 4 times. Something wrong in this claim.
>2 times -- well almost can be true
>4 times -- exactly no.

He said it, not me. I agree with  you -- I think 2 times (rough
average) is about right.

I think we  agree, though, that in general smaller is better (viz
iPod nano!). I look forward to UTF-8 storage.

Jon

P.S. You mentioned that bug fixes are a higher priority that UTF-8.
Now that you've refactored 2.1 and plan to get to them, can you give
us any clue as to which you will be fixing? I have a number of bugs
(or at least problems, like searching indexed strings for Unicode
text) that have been hanging for quite a long time.