[ANN] Valentina for PHP MacOS X 2.1 b1

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Oct 30 11:32:22 CST 2005

On 10/30/05 11:22 AM, "jda" <jda at his.com> wrote:

>> Hmm, so somebody say:
>>
>>     100MB - big
>>
>>     50 MB -- wow ok ?
>>

> :-)
>
> No. They said that the db sizes are 2-4 times larger than my main
> competitor...

What use competitor? 4D?

4D also allocate on start many disk space. May be less than Valentina.
But you can control that with SegmentSize you know.

Comparing EMPTY dbs, or dbs with small number of records, yes, Valentina
looks big. But most space is just empty and reserved.

But if db have a lots of records, then this sounds strange Jon.
I have see that Valentina 1.x was ALWAYS less that any other db.

If to assume that UTF16 increase size in 2 times (and this is not very
correct, because numbers still use the same size as 1.x) then we should get
e.g. 1.3 - 1.8 times bigger.

But not 4 times. Something wrong in this claim.
2 times -- well almost can be true
4 times -- exactly no.

Another example, I have compare with SqlLite 2.x, then Valentina UTF16 was
smaller than SQlLite with its UTF8. SqlLite 3 use more compact format and
was little less than Valentina UTF16.