[V4MD] Auto-incremental unique field

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Oct 5 16:27:33 CDT 2005

On 10/5/05 4:18 PM, "info at vallemediatime.com" <info at vallemediatime.com>
wrote:

>>> Hi Ruslan and list,
>>> In Valentina what is the better way for use (add, update...) a field_id
> with
>>> an auto-incremental unique value
>>
>> Hi Paolo,
>>
>> Sorry, I have not catch question.
> I need to create a field_ID with a auto-incremetal unique number
> eg.  0001...0002 or 1000...1001 and so on.
> In Valentina, when I add a record I get automatically RecID 1... 2...
> Is possible to create a custom number direclty from Valentina or I must
> create it by my Application code?

Okay listen for answer.

* we have IDENTITY field, analog of auto_increment.

BUT if you expect that it always will give you growing sequence, you are
wrong. In fact our IDENTITY use RecID values.

** why we have made this?

    BECAUSE it is silly idea to have growing unique numbers.
        sooner or later they will be finished.

    BECAUSE, this do all big DBMS.
        they can REUSE IDs of deleted records.

So we do the same