Ruslan's Rules

Charles Cohen rwc1717 at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 6 17:42:11 CST 2005

On 6-Nov-05, at 12:30 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

 >>Look. For SHORT strings, 2-20 bytes, Vstring[N] is the best.

 >>For strings as URLs, when can be 200 chars or 10 chars, better to use
varChar.

New & empty created with VStrings = 1.4 megs
New & empty created with VVarChar = 1.7 megs

Finished adapting to use the most efficient fields...tweaking can be
rewarding....

Full created with VStrings = 2.7 megs
Full created with VVarChar = 2.0 megs

Needed to do an xml dump and load to accomplish this....

By the time I had done all tha adapting...the db had grown to 4.0
megs...defragmenting/compacting at this time corrupted the
database....it was unusable.

I will watch and after a month or I can compact and report back with
the results....the defragmenting/compacting doesn't ruin the newly
restored db.

Thanks for Ruslan's rules....

Rik, Harry, Wendy, & Chuck