Escapestring not escaping ^

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Nov 1 17:12:52 CST 2005

>> Tell me please. Does your user know that he uses REGEX search?
>> Does user can enter REGEX symbols to do powerful REGEX search?
>>

>> If NO -- then .... Then your user do not use REGEX power.
>>          then you can simply use LIKE search and do not care
>>          about escaping of REGEX special symbols.
>
> Hi Ruslan,
>
> This is what I do -- the user knows nothing about Regex.
>
> I used to use LIKE in V1, but changed to Regex in V2 (you told us it
> was the same as LIKE in V1). All searches are case-insensitive. I
> forget now, but I thought that LIKE was not as sophisticated as
> REGEX, and couldn't do the same kind of searches. Am I wrong? What's
> the difference between LIKE and REGEX?

Difference is in the first turn in pattern.

    LIKE only  % and _
    REGEX a lots of choices.

And right now yes, we do not have way control for LIKE case.
This should be fixed sooner or later. Although if db itself is
case-insensetive, then LIKE also will be.

So if your users do not use power of REGEX...
You can try use LIKE instead. LIKE should be little faster, because more
simple algorithms work.

Again, since your app do non-common trick, I think no need for us do that
function. Only user can decide if symbol is control or should be escaped.