[C++ SDK] with xCode. Organization of files

Jochen Peters j.peters at valentina-db.de
Tue Nov 1 13:45:25 CST 2005

Hi Ruslan,

> I believe I am one small step from producing of C++ SDK with xCode.
>
> The last task to solve is:
>
> * Assume developers installs VSDK to own computer.
>
>     - VComponents folder should go into some system folder.
>         For example:  /usr/lib/VComponents
>
>     - Headers can go into /usr/lib/includes
On Unix often /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include is used.
But you should read the developer docs - i guess Apple will tell us
here where
the correct location should be...

> Having this, Developer can compile and link own project that uses VSDK
> headers and DLLs.
>

> * When developer build and run own app, all is good.
>     App uses DLLs from that system location.
>
> * When developer will prepare application for deployment,
>     he need put VComponents folder into App package
>     (like this do Valentina Studio)
>

> ----------------------------
> PROBLEM is next:
>
>   * right now we compile dlls for Vstudio using
>
>         @executable_path = "../../Vcomponents"
>
>   * but for SYSTEM location, we need executable_path
>         to be empty I think...
I think this can only be empty IF we put the DLL'S into the correct
location Apple
assumes for them.
Otherwise the developer must add this path to the linker path - LDPATH

> Jochen, you have told exists some utility which allow easy change
> that for
> existed DLLs. What its name?
Yes - it is called "install_name_tool"
Just execute "man install_name_tool" to see an explanation for all
parameters

One important point:
"install_name_tool" ONLY can change the location/names if they are
equal or shorter
in length then the original ones! To avoid problems we must link ALL
our products with
the linker option:
"headerpad_max_install_names"
(Note: ICU already links with this option)

> I think I need write some script which will add required path.
Yes.

Jochen Peters
PIIT GmbH

http://www.valentina-db.de