Escapestring not escaping ^

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Nov 1 14:00:49 CST 2005

>> So MAY BE we instead can have other function
>>
>>     s1
>>
>>     s2 = Valentina.EscapeForRegex( s1 )
>>
>>     s3 = Valentina.EscapeString( s2 )
>>

> That sounds good. It makes sense to have Valentina have a function
> that escapes for us. This way it is always in sync with the libraries
> it uses. And of course it means every developer doesn't have to do
> this manually in code.

Jon,

I have to think on fresh head more about this.

It looks that your application do non-standard thing.

* you give for user some edit  field

        Enter Search Pattern [ ................ ]

* user type here pattern.

Tell me please. Does your user know that he uses REGEX search?
Does user can enter REGEX symbols to do powerful REGEX search?

IF YES -- then Jon, YOUR user must type  \^
          if he want find symbol ^

            he MUST, because he KNOW that he do REGEX pattern.

If NO -- then .... Then your user do not use REGEX power.
         then you can simply use LIKE search and do not care
         about escaping of REGEX special symbols.

Only this 2 choices.

What you think?

IMHO there is no any need for Valentina.EscapeForRegex()