Spotlight

Sims, John ayu8 at cdc.gov
Thu May 26 15:47:21 CDT 2005

In addition, the very nature of relational databases would make such
searches difficult to make meaningful.  Even if Spotlight could search
through the tables, it is not going to know how to resolve the
relationships between tables to provide useful information.  Somebody (I
think Kem) mentioned archiving e-mails.  I would suspect that this
information would be broken up across multiple tables as it should be if
you are using a relational database.  I'm not sure what good it would do
for Spotlight to find "concert tickets" in the message of an e-mail
without being able to provide information such as who sent it and when.
I suspect that Robert is correct about an API/SDK but I think, even
then, it will be difficult to Paradigma to incorporate in a useful way
as it is we, the developers, who are in control of our data structures.

Just my 2 cents before I go home for the day.

Take care.

-John