Cache

jda jda at his.com
Sun May 15 14:46:26 CDT 2005

>  Results you mean speed?
>  >>
>>>  But may be not only cache affect that.
>>>
>>>  Longer strings means longer CPU operations.
>  >>

>>  Yes, speed. Not a few ticks -- I mean the spinning beachball! Over a
>>  minute to do a search in some cases. Increasing cache to 25 MB fixed
>>  it (20 might have worked, too, but 15 was not enough).
>
>Interesting,
>
>Way to reproduce ?
>
>Later I'd like profile this db + project

Hi Ruslan,

I've done some more experimenting with large databases, and the
results are not good.

I have a user with a 34,000 record database. It works acceptably in
Valentina 1.x. But in 2.x it is too slow to really use.

He sent me the db, and here's what I found...

The with V2 is 187 MB!

With a 100 MB cache it takes several minutes to open.

When I tried to export and then import the records (again, 100 MB
cache) it got to 10870 imported and it stopped with the spinning
beachball (I had to turn off the power and reboot to gain control of
the computer).

Searches are pretty fast, but these other performance issues are a
real killer. Since Valentina 1.x performed much better, I know it is
possible to fix this. I have sent you a large database (only about
11,000 records) that displays these problems as well, just not as
extreme. I hope you have the time soon to optimize Valentina 2.x to
regain the performance it had in 1.x.

Thanks,

Jon