[V4RB2] cursor location considerations

Igor Gomon giv at tlc.kherson.ua
Wed Jun 29 22:20:19 CDT 2005

Hi Eric,

> In VServer beta 1, I used to use the BulkSide cursor quite often, it
> was really cool for my needs.
> It allowed me to display a short list of the 50 most recent records
> while totally ignoring the 1000's of other records.
> VServer gave me the 50 records fastly in a single go.
>
> BulkSide cursor are deprecated in V2.
> Ruslan told me to use ServerSide cursor. OK.
>
> But ServerSide cursor are not as fast as BulkSide cursor, because the
> user can see that the list of the 50 most recent records is filled
> record after record. It's not that slow, but it gives a "slowlyness"
> sensation.
This is not true for V2.
Actually in V2 ServerSide cursor became a "mix" of V1 server side
and bulk cursors. This means that it is no longer retrieve records one
by one. Instead, it retrieves records in a bulk. At the moment "bulk window"
size is 10 records. We are going add one more parameter for SqlSelect()
method to allow the user to control this.
In V1 bulk side cursor is read only.
In V2 server side cursor can be read-write, of course.
When you performs modifications of such a cursor all the changes are
sent to the server and after successful completion cursor's buffer
also gets updated.

> With BulkSide cursor, it was instantaneous.
> With ServerSide, it's fast, but it takes its time.
>

> Moreover, some of my complex SQL statements work fine if the cursor
> is ClientSide, but crash if it is ServerSide.
What is the SQL statement? Can you send us small
test project that reproduces the problem?

> I think this is because I have fc11 on my MAC (where the client runs)
> and fc9 and the PC where Valentina Office Server runs.
> Am I right?
It is possible. I recommend you to update to the latest VServer version.

Igor Gomon
e-mail: giv at tlc.kherson.ua