V4MD request

info at vallemediatime.com info at vallemediatime.com
Tue Jun 21 14:19:55 CDT 2005

Hi Ruslan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua>
To: <valentina-beta at lists.macserve.net>
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 8:20 PM
Subject: Re: V4MD request

> On 6/20/05 6:23 PM, "info at vallemediatime.com" <info at vallemediatime.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> But you can do this all RIGHT NOW.
> >>
> >> Where you see problems?
> >>
> >> Table -- have CURRENT RECORD.
> >>     to get its RecID you do
> >>
> >>             recid = VTable.RecID
> >>
> >> I do not see any problems Paolo.
> >
> > In API  use:
> > gDB.table(gTableName).recordCount
> > an so on for get some value from my currentTable
>
> To get RecID for link you use
>         gDB.table(gTableName).recordCount  ???
No

> This is not correct, Paolo !
> IF you delete some record you will get wrong values.
ok, I know this

> You MUST to use Vtable.RecID.
>
> BinaryLink store pairs of RecID  values!!!
>

> > I have not never used VTable...
> > and I can not understand your help:
> > recid = VTable.RecID
>
> > up to now I have used only SQL and API...
>
>     recid = VTable.RecID   -- this is API Way
>
>     SqlSelect( "select RecID, * FROM T")    -- this is SQL way.
>

> > I have watched into examples but I have not found something with VTable,
> > i.e.
> > in the docs I read:
> > fldCount = table.fieldCount
> > but I don't undestand how get <table> by Class VTable
>
>         tbl = db.Table( "Person" )
>
> Now you can do
>
>         tbl.RecID = 5       -- to go to record with RecID 5
>
>         recid = tbl.RecID   -- to get RecID of the current record.
>
> Everything is simple.
>
> I wonder you say, you do not see how to get Table. But how you show
records
> of that table in API way? You already must to have tbl to be able show
> records. Right ?
Right,
now, after this new explanation I have better understand some others
differences about API-SQL
I'm still tried my project with more API calls; at beginning (V2.0.1) it
seems to me that API was more slowly... now is better but not how SQL query.
At last,  for my project I hope that API is better way, (I have seen some
SQL problems about the case_insensitive and apostrophe... that you know)

If you have time in the next days, months? I ask you:
"It would appeal to me to have a doc-table that clears just in which
circumstances is preferibile to use API or SQL"
Thanks again
Paolo