[V4REV] Notes on example stack

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Tue Jun 14 12:20:51 CDT 2005

>>But I did think this is what we have.
>
>In the original example I sent you it was "CATEGORY_NAME".  It seems
>that the full path to each example stack is is being used as the
>name now.
>
>As for the crashing, this is a tricky area.  If you recommend to
>people that they use a plugin stack which loads the external
>whenever Rev loads then you won't have a problem.  In this case you
>just tell people only to load the Valentina external in their
>projects if
>
>environment() <> "devleopment"
>
>If you don't suggest that route to people then you have to pay
>attention to what externals are loaded when opening the example
>stacks.  If any stack in the Rev environment has already loaded the
>external then you don't load it.  If the external is not available
>in the development environment then you need to load it when the
>example stack loads by setting the external property of one of the
>substacks and then putting the substack in use.  Of course, if the
>developer were to open one of their projects that loaded the
>Valentina external then you would see the crash would happen anyway.
>It's a sticky situation that isn't likely to change soon.  I really
>think the plugin method is the way to go.

I think also that the plugin approach is better although any approach
should work. If Ruslan does not produce such a plugin, I will. The
question is whether it should always load Valentina or leave it up to
the user or offer a simple API to load/unload it on demand. This
would need a new valentina call that returns a list of open
databases, though.

Robert