[V4REV] Notes on example stack

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon Jun 13 23:19:58 CDT 2005

On Jun 13, 2005, at 11:06 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 6/14/05 2:56 AM, "Robert Brenstein" <rjb at robelko.com> wrote:
>> The crashing reported by Trevor is annoying.
>>
>> Why the name of example stacks (substacks actually) is set to their
>> path? It should be the same as the folder name of each example in the
>> development folder not the path; for example,
>> Database_CreateCloseOpen.
>>
>> The last component of substack names is doubled; for example, you
>> have Field_Find_Field_Find instead of just Field_Find.
>>
>> I would suggest that the stack title (another property than name) is
>> set to include the parent folder so we know the category of a given
>> example; for example, API_way/Fiel_Find. This is what should be in
>> the list of examples.
>
> Hmm,
>
> But I did think this is what we have.

In the original example I sent you it was "CATEGORY_NAME".  It seems
that the full path to each example stack is is being used as the name
now.

As for the crashing, this is a tricky area.  If you recommend to
people that they use a plugin stack which loads the external whenever
Rev loads then you won't have a problem.  In this case you just tell
people only to load the Valentina external in their projects if

environment() <> "devleopment"

If you don't suggest that route to people then you have to pay
attention to what externals are loaded when opening the example
stacks.  If any stack in the Rev environment has already loaded the
external then you don't load it.  If the external is not available in
the development environment then you need to load it when the example
stack loads by setting the external property of one of the substacks
and then putting the substack in use.  Of course, if the developer
were to open one of their projects that loaded the Valentina external
then you would see the crash would happen anyway.  It's a sticky
situation that isn't likely to change soon.  I really think the
plugin method is the way to go.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia