ATTENTION: V4RB fc13 is more strict // Altering table

Ivan Smahin IvanSmahin at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jul 5 17:42:21 CDT 2005

Hello Erik,

EMH> Got it, and it's pretty strange. Here's what I've been doing, and it
EMH> consistently creates the problem:

EMH> I create a new database via V4RB, using the same name as an existing
EMH> (closed) database. I receive the standard Macintosh "Are you sure you
EMH> want to replace this file" dialog box, and I click "OK." V4RB creates
EMH> the new database (mode 3); it really acts like a new empty database,
EMH> and I receive no errors. If I close it and re-open it, however, I get
EMH> the error I reported earlier.

EMH> If, however, I delete the old database first and follow the same
EMH> procedure, no error is generated.

EMH> My guess, therefore, is that something from the old database schema is
EMH> somehow getting carried forward (or not erased, or something) by
EMH> either V4RB or the Finder when a new database replaces it. This seems
EMH> especially likely because I *did* in fact change the length of the
EMH> defaultLanguageCode field two or three months ago.

This message is about "static" ("classes") way only.

During db.Open it is checked that all schema-stored attributes are the same as
defined in your objects created before this call.

Obviously the schema contains not 3 but something else. You could reach the
schema-based field length opening your db in the viSQL or VStudio.
I mean opening in usual, "non-static" way.

 Ivan                            mailto:IvanSmahin at public.kherson.ua