ATTENTION: V4RB fc13 is more strict // Altering table

Erik Mueller-Harder erikmh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 10:23:14 CDT 2005

On 05/07/05, Ruslan Zasukhin <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:
> On 7/5/05 4:38 PM, "Erik Mueller-Harder" <erikmh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> It looks you use the same db file for long time, right ?
> >
> > No.  As I said, all I have to do to re-create the problem is to create
> > a new database, close it, and open it.
> >
> > I'll check my field definitions yet again, but I don't make any
> > changes or alterations in code.
>
> Can you try reproduce this URGENTLY, Erik ?
>
> In some small project ?

Got it, and it's pretty strange. Here's what I've been doing, and it
consistently creates the problem:

I create a new database via V4RB, using the same name as an existing
(closed) database. I receive the standard Macintosh "Are you sure you
want to replace this file" dialog box, and I click "OK." V4RB creates
the new database (mode 3); it really acts like a new empty database,
and I receive no errors. If I close it and re-open it, however, I get
the error I reported earlier.

If, however, I delete the old database first and follow the same
procedure, no error is generated.

My guess, therefore, is that something from the old database schema is
somehow getting carried forward (or not erased, or something) by
either V4RB or the Finder when a new database replaces it. This seems
especially likely because I *did* in fact change the length of the
defaultLanguageCode field two or three months ago.

I hope this helps....

-- Erik