API methods on binary link // Philosophy (!!)

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jan 25 12:39:53 CST 2005

On 1/25/05 12:05 PM, "Olivier" <vidal_olivier at yahoo.fr> wrote:

>  Thank you very much Ruslan for all these explanations.
>
> I have to think really about my application.
> It is VERY attractive..
> But I have to think seriously about all this.
> I shall not like, with THIS model, having to redo all structures of my tables
> or to have now REDUNDANT data.

REDO of course is hard, so may be no need.

> yes, it's possible.
> But if, for example, I have to print thousands of labels of addresses (to make
> a mailing)?

> The join is necessary here because every address is linked to a zip-city and
> because the zip-city must be printed on every address?

No. I give example

> Unless we have redundant tables ?!

No need!!!!

Where you see need in redunant tables?!
Its SQL will have them for JOIN.

To print labels you write (syntax just to show idea)

PrintLabels( inCities as Vset )
{
    for_each cityRecID from inCites
    {
        PrintLabelsForCity( cityRecId )
    }
}

PrintLabelsForCity( cityRecID  as Integer )
{
    tblCity.RecID = cityRecID   // goto City record

    cityName = tblCity.Name
    cityZip = tblCity.Zip

    streetsSet = LinkStreets.FindLinked( cityRecID )

    for_each streetRecID from streetsSet
    {
        tblStreet.RecId = streetRecID // go to street
        PrintLabel( cityName, cityZip, tblStreet.Name )
    }
}

PrintLabel( cityName, cityZip, streetName )
{
    // PRINT code here.
}

What you think now?  :-)
Is it so hard ?

And this way in general erquire less RAM/DISK space,
Because we simply use original tables.
No any redundant data/tables.
SQL way have them -- JOIN TABLE.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com