Dispensable libraries

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jan 18 16:51:34 CST 2005

>>> Hm, if we can't use a folder to store all these files, might it be
>>>  possible to combine some of the libraries into one? There are 4
>>>  different icu libraries, for example.
>>
>> No, ICU we can't change. This is IBM
>>

> You mean that you don't have the source? This is the way they distribut it?

I have, but projects are huge, so it is very bad idea try to change them.
Each new release again and again...

> Ruslan, lots of other apps in OS X use the ICU library, and Valentina
> is the only one that has to include all of the libraries and .dat
> file.

Why you think so?!
I very doubt that somebody use ICU libs from Apple.

I have discuss this with the main engineer of Apple that integrate ICU to OS
X. He have told that

1) Apple do not open now ICU for developers access.
    they work with IBM to improve ICU to allow this.

2) Apple's libs are in MACHO format, so I cannot use them in
    V4RB Carbon, and V4MD Carobn.

    In any case.

3) even to use them it needs use NOT C++ API of ICU but C only.
    not very pleasant.

> Are you sure you can't simply link to the libraries included
> with OS X (I'm pretty sure that RB does, for example)? This alone
> adds most of the overhead of a V2 distribution.

I know.

It is possible reduce overhead only with .DAT file.

They say it is possible to make it not 8MB but 3.5MB
If remove rare languages, and other not needed resources.

You can do this self using ICU command line utils.
But I have not yet play with them.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com