Search for accented characters

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Jan 17 09:33:40 CST 2005

On 1/17/05 2:47 AM, "bibiko at eva.mpg.de" <bibiko at eva.mpg.de> wrote:

Hi Hans,

> Dear developers,
>
> are there any thoughts about an easy way for searching accented characters?
>
> I don't know if there is an implementation yet.
>
> Problem:
>
> One record has stored the string 'Wichí'.
>
> If I'm looking for 'Wichi' then I don't get the match for 'Wichí'.
> You have to write something like
> SELECT field FROM tbl WHERE field LIKE 'Wich[i|í]'
>
> OK.
>
> But it would be a very nice feature to implement a keyword like 'no_accent'
> for searching automatically this kind of occurances :)

We talk about Valentina 2.0 ?

Then solution is the next:

* IF you want that your whole db consider accent chars as regular chars,
Then you can create db and set its
    collation Attribute STRENGTH = kSecondary.

    db.ColAttribute( EVColAttribute.kStrength ) = EVColAttrValue.kSecondary

We have example on this in 2.0.

You can send this also for separate table and a field.
You can have fields/methods with different settings.

So if you set this option, then search WHERE fld = 'Wichí'
Will find also 'Wichí'.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com