Search for accented characters

bibiko at eva.mpg.de bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Mon Jan 17 01:47:13 CST 2005

Dear developers,

are there any thoughts about an easy way for searching accented characters?

I don't know if there is an implementation yet.

Problem:

One record has stored the string 'Wichí'.

If I'm looking for 'Wichi' then I don't get the match for 'Wichí'.
You have to write something like
SELECT field FROM tbl WHERE field LIKE 'Wich[i|í]'

OK.

But it would be a very nice feature to implement a keyword like 'no_accent' for
searching automatically this kind of occurances :)

The problem is if a user has its own keyboard and s/he is looking for a word
which contains foreign characters with diacritics and you are not able to type
this character, well ...

I know we are talking about Unicode and there a lot of such stuff but
nevertheless it would be a further argument to buy Valentina ;)

The following is only a thought:

Such character classes could generated via the internal Unicode names.
If you are thinking further you can implement other class of Cyrillic, Greek,
Japanese, Tamil etc. Then you can search for the Russian word for 'language' via
ASCII 'jazyk'. Of course that would mean that there is a standard for
transliteration of such writing systems with Roman letters but ...

I write this because this is my special area of interest and a part of my daily
work. If there is an interest maybe I could help to generate such classes.

Thanks a lot
Hans