[V4RB] API Equivalent of UPDATE WHERE

jda jda at his.com
Tue Jan 4 07:41:39 CST 2005

>IMPORTANT:
>
>* if you change MANY records, you may consider remove index.
>
>     not-indexed field give linear time for adding.
>
>Btw, I have see that import of 50 records with PUB format,
>You make with indexes ON.
>
>Remove indexes, and I think import of 4000 records will be done not in 12
>minutes but in few seconds.

Actually, I tried that. Importing was only *slightly* faster for the
first several thousand records (it did maintain speed better when it
got to 10000 records, though)! And in V1.x (to which I compare V2),
importing was much faster with indexing ON.

The problem with turning indexing OFF is that my app doesn't know how
may records are going to be imported beforehand. Therefore, if  only
one is being imported (quite common), when a large db (say 30000
records) is *reindexed* after importing that one record it is going
to take a long time. And having the user decide whether to have
indexing on or off during a particular import is too techie for a
consumer app. So I leave it ON all the time, which as I said, worked
well for V1.

Jon