[V4RB] API Equivalent of UPDATE WHERE

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jan 4 10:58:56 CST 2005

On 1/4/05 2:21 AM, "jda" <jda at his.com> wrote:

>> UPDATE WHERE is more powerful command although, because I can do with it
>>
>>       SET f = f + 1 WHERE f > 10
>>

> Hm, is there a fast way to set the values of a numeric field to a
> sequence without looping through each record in a cursor? Say if
> there is 1000 records in the cursor, setting field id to

> 1
> 2
> 3
> 4
> 1000
>
> I do that now, but as I said, I loop through each record in a cursor
> and set the value. It works, but gets kind of slow when there are
> 5000-10000 records.

In normal dbs there is no such way.
You must loop. Or engine must loop.

Jon,

IMPORTANT:

* if you change MANY records, you may consider remove index.

    not-indexed field give linear time for adding.

Btw, I have see that import of 50 records with PUB format,
You make with indexes ON.

Remove indexes, and I think import of 4000 records will be done not in 12
minutes but in few seconds.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com