valentina 2

jda jda at his.com
Mon Jan 3 12:21:43 CST 2005

>hmmm if I indeed understands, valentina 2 is much slower for the
>moment than valentina 1 by using SQL but about so fast by using API ?
>
>As a lot of people I think, I hesitate to use Valentina 2 from now
>on. I began a project with Valentina 1. This project must be
>absolutely ended by March 20th. I am very enthusiastic to use
>valentina 2 (by API) for this project now because if the version 1.0
>of my software will be already based on valentina 2, I can probably
>make much more quickly updates for the next versions. My software
>will be built well from the beginning.
>
>On the other hand, if my software 1.0 is not stable, finally not
>much more than with valentina 1 and if I lose a lot of time in the
>corrections of (valentina 2) bugs, I hesitate and I wonder if I am
>not going to wait for my next project to use valentina 2.
>
>As customer and user of valentina, of whom do you think of it ?

I wouldn't say that V2 is *much* slower than V1 right now, at least
for me...the decrease in speed of addrecord and indexing is
bothersome, but Ruslan has said it will be improved, and I believe
him.

Your more fundamental question is whether a stable V2 is on a
schedule that fits your (and my) needs. This has troubled me quite a
lot (and Ruslan is tired of hearing from me, I know).

Initially Unicode was going to be added to V1, and that is all I
really need. But that intention was changed for financial reasons,
and it was decided that Unicode was only going to be included in V2.

V2 has been delayed, delayed, delayed, which has caused me a lot of
grief. I remember on the Valentina list in 2003 (!) when Lynn assured
me that V2 would be out *before* RB 5.5. Gosh, was that wrong. When
the V2 beta was first posted (May 11, 2004 I believe) we were told it
would take perhaps 2 months to get to release (i.e. mid-Summer). Then
as recently as two months or so ago we were told it would be released
by the end of 2004. Now the guess if for the end of January. Well, I
keep making plans, and those plans are constantly being changed,
which has cost me dearly.

I know Ruslan (and Ivan, Serg, and the rest) are working very
diligently to get V2 out. And if it takes time, well, that's the way
it is. But I do wish the process was more transparent and that
forecasting was more accurate. The market for V2 is developers, and
we are all well aware of the pitfalls and delays that can be
encountered. But we have to make plans, too, and would all be better
served if realistic predictions were made and we were kept in the
loop.

I am now aiming to release my V2-based app at the end of January.
Will that happen -- based on past experience, I'd have to say no. A
stable and fast release by March 20 for you? I won't guess.

Jon