[V4RB 0000242]: Database.Open crashes for my NEW database

Frank Schima frank-list3 at mindstarprods.com
Sun Jan 2 09:53:23 CST 2005

On Jan 1, 2005, at 4:09 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 1/2/05 12:55 AM, "Frank Schima" <frank-list3 at mindstarprods.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The real problem I'm trying to track down is that an UPDATE ... WHERE
>> ... SQL is causing a crash in that database and I cannot debug the
>> problem with ViSQL. I'm having trouble trying to replicate the problem
>> though, because it works fine on an empty database (of course nothing
>> is changed in that case, but it does not crash!) and it also works
>> when
>> I add a few hundred dummy records. Maybe a larger segment size will
>> solve this problem too.
>>
>> I will keep studying this and let you know if I can isolate anything.
>
> When you develop and debug I recommend to all set
>
>     Valentina.DebugLevel = kLogParams
>
> And if you have crash you need set
>
>     Valentina.FlushEachLog = true
>
> So you not loose log of last commands in the FILE BUFFER.
>

> Also you may find useful look into files
>
>     ASSERTS -- this file MUST BE empty if no any bugs
>
>     SqlTree.txt -- here you can see how SQL query is parsed.
>         small help, but yet...

I am still having a crash with my UPDATE SQL statement even with the
larger segment size. So I set the debug level and FlushEachLog = True
as you suggested after the Valentina.Init statement but I cannot find
either of those files anywhere on my computer after doing a search.
There was nothing special in the RB project folder either.

Where should those files appear?

I guess I don't know where any of the debugging information is supposed
to appear. Where should I see the debug log? There is no application
crash log file in this case.

The problematic SQL statement is pretty simple:
    UPDATE MyTable SET MyVarCharField = 'Some Text' WHERE MyVarCharField
is Null

Coincidently, this is the same SQL statement that V4RB 1.11b (the
latest build of 1.11) fixed - it was broken in the initial build of
1.11. But it simply failed to update without an error in that case. It
is causing a crash for me in V4RB 2b33.

Best regards,
Frank