V4RB: Question about SQL

Frank Schima frank-list3 at mindstarprods.com
Sat Jan 1 16:16:25 CST 2005

Hi guys,

On Jan 1, 2005, at 12:29 PM, Claudius Sailer wrote:

> Am 01. Jan 2005 um 19:32 Uhr schrieb Ruslan Zasukhin:
>
>>> Normally I would expect that RS will implement 64bit numeric values,
>>> but I asked for feature request 12 months or more ago and nothing
>>> happen, so I have to look further for other solutions :-((
>>
>>> In my point of view it is faster to get good solutions in Valentina
>>> then in RB. I am waiting for final 2.X, because this will make much
>>> much SQL-Satements possible and will be faster as my work around in
>>> RB
>>
>> SUM() will return us column of ULLONG or LLONG type I think.
>>
>> You will be able obtain result using
>>
>>     s = cursor.field(1).GetString()
>>
>>     longV = val( s )
>
> Thats correct.
>
> I am using
>
>   CurBuchungen=meineDatenbank.SQLselect(SQLString, kV_Server,
> kV_NoLocks, kV_Random)
>   if CurBuchungen<>NIL   then
>     CurBuchungen.CurrentPosition=1
>     return CurBuchungen.LLongField(1).value
>   else
>     return 0
>   end if
>
> but the returned value could be bigger as it is allowed as integer and
> I want to return integer because of the more accurate value. Float is
> not so correct as integer und numeric is not supported by RB....
> Thats the reason why I am asking for 64bit integer in RB.

Another workaround is to use this free plug-in which handles huge ( >
64 bit ) integers:
<http://homepage.mac.com/delaneyrm/ExtendedPlugin.html>

It works great for me, the only "problem" is that it creates a new
class, not an intrinsic datatype, and hence you have to use "New" for
each variable of this type as well as class methods to add, subtract,
etc.

I have voted for signed/unsigned 64 bit integers in RB too of course.
Everyone please vote for this if you haven't yet!
<http://www.realsoftware.com/feedback/viewreport.php?reportid=iatmsfre>

Best regards,
Frank Schima