backup question

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Feb 16 00:33:59 CST 2005

On 2/15/05 10:25 PM, "Dave Parizek" <dave at Parizek.com> wrote:

Hi Dave,

> To protect against data loss due to file corruption, user error, or
> whatever unknown problem, basic strategy with Valentina is to perform
> backups.
>
> I am wondering how that will work with multi-user vserver app.  Hot
> backups possible?

Hot backup is not in 2.0.

Igor have start this task and practically done it more than year above,
Just we have decide that before transactions this is not good idea enable
this..

> Anyway, it would be nice to have journaling.  Valentina in debug mode
> can be set to write log text file already.  If added feature to write
> all and only SQLExecute statements to log text file, then upon
> problem you could use that log to add in all changes to last backup
> to get to where you were or close to where you were at problem point.

> How much would this slow down Valentina?  Significantly, I imagine,
> but perhaps it could be set to cache the info -- say if you had a ton
> of inserts to do -- and not cache during normal occasional operations.

Right. This can be and must be tunable.

Sybase also have checkpoints.
You CAN lost info between checkpoints.

> Is this complicated to implement?  I guess I could just implement
> myself in RB.  Would there be an advantage to having Valentina
> implement it instead of doing in RB, for speed reasons or otherwise?
>
> This maybe feature request is for later, I don't want to delay 2.0 stable.

You talk about transaction feature RECOVERY after failure.

Transactions play few roles actually:

- logical isolation of several users.
- logical rollback of last operations.
- rollback of not committed transactions after failure.

We plan implement all this for 3.0.

Btw, I think better to have binary journal, but not textual...

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com