backup question

Dave Parizek dave at Parizek.com
Tue Feb 15 13:25:43 CST 2005

To protect against data loss due to file corruption, user error, or
whatever unknown problem, basic strategy with Valentina is to perform
backups.

I am wondering how that will work with multi-user vserver app.  Hot
backups possible?

Anyway, it would be nice to have journaling.  Valentina in debug mode
can be set to write log text file already.  If added feature to write
all and only SQLExecute statements to log text file, then upon
problem you could use that log to add in all changes to last backup
to get to where you were or close to where you were at problem point.
How much would this slow down Valentina?  Significantly, I imagine,
but perhaps it could be set to cache the info -- say if you had a ton
of inserts to do -- and not cache during normal occasional operations.

Is this complicated to implement?  I guess I could just implement
myself in RB.  Would there be an advantage to having Valentina
implement it instead of doing in RB, for speed reasons or otherwise?

This maybe feature request is for later, I don't want to delay 2.0 stable.

--Dave

Dave Parizek
Dave at RemainderZ.com

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."
                  -- Groucho Marx