collations

jda jda at his.com
Sat Feb 5 09:11:52 CST 2005

Hi Olivier,

>Collations seem very practical but I read that they slowed down the
>data processing a lot.
>Is it true? For example, some of you use the "collationstrength=0" ?
>
>in Valentina 1, I used for a field " CityName ", a second field "
>uppercase ( cityname ) " (method) to examine and comparisons easily.
>it's big but fast.
>
>Ruslan, you wrote :
>
>"Yes, I think REGEX should take into account the current settings of field.
>On the other hand I am not sure that REGEX uses Collator.
>
>We need read cods on this.
>
>Igor, please check this point and tell us."
>
>I did not find the answer. REGEX uses collations ?

Hm, I don't see how it can. For example, in my case the collation
strength is set as

CollationAttribute(EVColAttribute.kStrength) = EVColAttributeValue.kSecondary

This ignores case, but not accents, and works fine for SQL searches.

But for RegEx, case *is* considered unless I add (?i) to the search.
So RegEx ignores the collation strength attribute, at least in this
instance.

Jon