Object-Persistence in database

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Dec 15 10:51:48 CST 2005

On 12/15/05 10:20 AM, "Guyren Howe" <guyren at mac.com> wrote:

Hi Guyren,

> Actually, since the folks who are developing this are on here: how
> about letting us store objects in the database?

> Now, that I could get interested in.

> You could define a column type to be the name of a class or a class
> interface.

> This class or the classes implementing  this interface would *also* need to
> implement a DBSerialize  interface. Now, that would give me a reason to get
> interested.

You talk here about kind of OO DBMS.

For you info:

- exists separate world of OO DBMS
- they have own ODMG standard
- they have own OQL query language.
- they are NOT similar to RDBMS
- they claim that OODB work with C++ Java and Smalltalk.

Well, we can add now that Apple have add own persistence layer CoreData,
which is far far not the same as OO DBMS IMHO (it not follow ODMG standard
at least).

------
Guyren,

Serialization way * has a lots of problems...IMHO.

In 1995-1998 year we have name Valentina to be OO DBMS. But then into game
have come ODMG standard, which have "corrupt" this name. So we have start
name Valentina as ORDBMS.

I have never like ideas of OO DBMS as ODMG describeS. Main reasons:

- IMHO it is bad when user do not see when info go to/from db.

- IMHO payment for such feature is unneeded overhead to watch for objects,
to load them and unload them, a lots of proxy-objects...nightmare.

- IMHO it is stupid to say that OO DBMS can be used only from OO language.
    FALSE, LIE. My point of view that OO features of DB, its model are not
    related in any way to language/API of access.

Well, INSTEAD, in Valentina we offer other way -- Class way.

You develop own set of classes (yes which play as persistent),
Which are subclasses from Valentina classes. Now you get best of 2 worlds.
    - you work with OO classes and OO API
    - you self control what is going on.

-------
In the same time I believe that Valentina has very perfect internal
structure and features for implementation of persistence LAYERS over it.
They can be ODMG-compliant as well as something else.