V4MD FC9 issue

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Aug 15 13:13:17 CDT 2005

On 8/11/05 11:34 PM, "Francois Cournoyer" <zantagor at hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Francois,

Sorry for delay,
I have just come back from Sweden and reading a lots of emails now.

> Is it me, or the api actually incurred a change???

YES it was changed. But not dramatically.

We have made EXPLICITE names for operations.
Look:

* You want encrypt database? then use db.Encrypt( "passw" )

* You want decrypt database? then use db.Decrypt( "passw" );

    in v1 you want need CHANGE password,
    providing new password as VOID/NULL,
    which IMHO was more confusing

* You want change password? Then use db.ChangePassword()

* You want open already encrypted db? so you need inform it about passwords,
right? Then use

        db.UsePassword( "passw" )

IMHO very logically and more clean then it was in v1.

> where's SetEncryption gone?

deprecated

> This is getting ridiculous, and unheard of, API changing between minor
> releases?

Actually 2.0 did not have encryption implemented right?
So only in 2.0.5 we actually introduce it for 2.x

> This is highly unprofessional and risky, it makes me wary to actually
> upgrade to a new version if it means the risk of having to rewrite huge
> parts of code because of this.

Francois, encryption happens only on open/create.
So it is only 3-5-10 lines of code.

> Lucky that it's only 1 function now, but still, what tells me you won't
> suddenly decide to change the fields api to use something else than ".value
> = ?"

Nope :-)

> I see that there's now UseEncryptionKey, I supposed this is what's to be
> called now?  Or is it just an honest mistake, and SetEncryption was just
> removed by mistake?

It is removed.

New examples show how to use it now.

On beta list 2 weeks ago was sent specification of new behavior for
encryption. We try to make things more simple and less confusing for users
regarding encryption.