Sorting compound names // sense

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Sep 22 17:37:42 CDT 2004

>> On 9/22/04 4:23 PM, "jda" <jda at his.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  The authors field of *one* record might be
>>>
>>>  Zasukhin, R
>>>  Brenstein, R
>>>  von Abel, GE
>>>
>>>  The the authors of this record will be compared to the authors of
>>>  every other record. In this particular instance, I would want this
>>>  record to sort *before* another record with these authors:
>>>
>>>  Zasukhin, R
>>>  Brenstein, R
>>>  Bethany, D
>>

>> In fact it is very very strange to me SORT IN THIS WAY.
>>
>> It looks to me useless as useless to sort email letters by their context.
>>

> No, no, no.
>
> Rules for sorting in German/Swedish/Dutch are not the same as
> English. They don't treat the "von" as part of the last name. I don't
> make these rules, Ruslan, they are simply the custom. Do not forget,
> the results of the search/sort will be a bibliographic list, like
> this:
>
> 1. Zasukhin, R, Brenstein, R, von Abel, GE (2004). A title. 23:23-24.
>
> 2. Zasukhin, R, Brenstein, R, Bethany, D (2002). Another title. 2:145-160.
>
> 3. Etc.

You have not understand me.
I talk not about rules.

I talk that I do not see many sense sort on field Authors at all !!!
Because as I see it can have 1 or more authors.

I do not see it than more that you even not try sort authors inside of
record.

By your logic

    Zasukhin, R,
    Brenstein, R,

and

    Brenstein, R,
    Zasukhin, R,

Will be located in different places of sorted list.

But they keep the same information.
IF you sort both at first, then they will be together.

But EVEN IF you will sort authors inside of record,
I do not see sense to sort records by this field.

Let you have

      Brenstein, R,
      Zasukhin, R,

And

      Abel
      Brenstein, R,

Again these 2 records will be in different places.
But how it helps me as to user ??????????

People usually sort something to be able read in sorted order.
But in your case THERE IS NO order for 'Brenstein'.

There is no order for any second, third, ...  authors.
You see?

Useless.

Nobody will get from this any sense and any help!

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com