Sorting compound names

jda jda at his.com
Sat Sep 18 08:03:25 CDT 2004

Hi folks,

New question (especially to other developers who deal with German and Dutch):

In some languages compound surnames are sorted by the second word
(e.g. van Lanternan would be sorted with the L's)? Is there a way, in
a method, to have Valentina do such a sort (assuming one provided a
list of articles in the surname to ignore)? I can't think of a
straightfoward solution, but perhaps since this is a common problem
someone else on this list has solved it. Of course one could
post-process the Valentina sort (which is what I will probably try),
but it would be nice if that weren't necessary.

Thanks,

Jon