bytes or chars ?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Sep 16 16:36:23 CDT 2004

On 9/16/04 4:20 PM, "Martin Kloss" <martin.kloss at gmx.de> wrote:

> I think there's only going to be a little overhead in "thinking time" for us
> developers, when creating utf-8 fields, as we have to consider the language
> and possible usage of 2-byte characters. But the end-user of our applications
> will think in "characters" anyway, so we just have to figure out what
> approximate number of characters we will let them type into a certain field.
> But that's something I can live with, as Eric said, consistency is most
> important here.

Guys,

and let me once again underline idea of Erik.

If you want to use UTF8, okay, no problems.
Just avoid to use it for Vstring.

Use UTF8 with VarChar(2000) or Vtext and be happy.

This is the main point!

VarChar(2000) -- this is great TOP LIMIT.
    this will satisfy 90% of existed application.

If not enough you can make VarChar (4000) or 64000 at last of end.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com