bytes or chars ?

Martin Kloss martin.kloss at gmx.de
Thu Sep 16 15:20:36 CDT 2004

At 15:09 16.09.2004, you wrote:
>I think we need to be clear here; it seems to me we're discussing two
>separate issues.

yes, that's what I think. I strongly support Erik's idea to always use
"bytes", as to have
it all consistent, no matter which encoding is being used. And you don't
have to worry about
anything when changing the encoding from utf-16 to 8 or vice versa at a
later stage.

I think there's only going to be a little overhead in "thinking time" for
us developers,
when creating utf-8 fields, as we have to consider the language and
possible usage
of 2-byte characters. But the end-user of our applications will think in
"characters" anyway,
so we just have to figure out what approximate number of characters we will
let them
type into a certain field. But that's something I can live with, as Eric
said, consistency
is most important here.

>This has been a most enlightening discussion, by the way.  I am always
>impressed by the professionalism and civility on the Valentina lists,
>despite (or maybe because of?) the diversity of platforms, development
>tools, previous experiences, languages, cultural backgrounds, etc.

very true :-)

Martin.

Martin Kloss

Skype me 24/7: callto://martinkloss