so we choose bytes ?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Sep 16 08:02:57 CDT 2004

On 9/16/04 5:14 AM, "Erik Mueller-Harder"
<valentina-list at vermontsoftworks.com> wrote:

>> So, guys.
>>
>> What we choose?
>>
>>     bytes in all cases ?
>>     including UTF16 ?
>
> As a developer, I look for consistency:  consistent data are good data;
> consistent code is good code; consistent definitions are good
> definitions.
>
> Now perhaps it's important that you maintain a consistent usage with
> other DBMSs; that's not personally important to me -- as long as a tool
> is internally consistent, I'm happy -- but you'll need to weigh that
> yourselves.

That is right. Assume mySQL/Access/FileMaker/... Developer
Take Valentina in hands.

He used to think in chars. May be they have some code that works in chars.

Porting this code they should not catch in trap.

Also Valentina Studio automation tools also should be able correctly
convert.

> But if we can refer to "bytes" in all storage encodings and thereby be
> clear and accurate and consistent throughout Valentina, isn't that
> truly the best answer in the end?
>
> As Jon said, Valentina users are *all* developers.

> Most -- maybe all -- of us on this list are already quite clear on the
> difference between "character" and "byte."  If everything is consistently
> referring to "bytes," then a simple sentence or two in the documentation
> explaining the difference between the two terms and a small table outlining
> the "real world" results to expect with different data types and storage
> encodings should suffice for newbies.
>
> Oh, and Ruslan, you said, "As for me, I prefer to control each byte. I
> am Developer."  I know I'm now taking your remark out of context, but
> it sure sounds like you really want to work with bytes here -- not
> characters.  ;-)

Okay guys.

You almost have convenient

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com