so we choose bytes ?

Erik Mueller-Harder valentina-list at vermontsoftworks.com
Wed Sep 15 22:14:19 CDT 2004

On Sep 15, 2004, at 19:23, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> So, guys.
>
> What we choose?
>
>     bytes in all cases ?
>     including UTF16 ?

As a developer, I look for consistency:  consistent data are good data;
consistent code is good code; consistent definitions are good
definitions.

Now perhaps it's important that you maintain a consistent usage with
other DBMSs; that's not personally important to me -- as long as a tool
is internally consistent, I'm happy -- but you'll need to weigh that
yourselves.

But if we can refer to "bytes" in all storage encodings and thereby be
clear and accurate and consistent throughout Valentina, isn't that
truly the best answer in the end?

As Jon said, Valentina users are *all* developers.  Most -- maybe all
-- of us on this list are already quite clear on the difference between
"character" and "byte."  If everything is consistently referring to
"bytes," then a simple sentence or two in the documentation explaining
the difference between the two terms and a small table outlining the
"real world" results to expect with different data types and storage
encodings should suffice for newbies.

Oh, and Ruslan, you said, "As for me, I prefer to control each byte. I
am Developer."  I know I'm now taking your remark out of context, but
it sure sounds like you really want to work with bytes here -- not
characters.  ;-)

-- Erik