Diagnose

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Oct 5 17:24:43 CDT 2004

> Hi Ruslan,
>
> You asked me to move this to the betas list, so here it is.
>
> Once 2.0 is stable/released, I think a developer-oriented diagnose
> would be very useful. As I imagine it, it would return a string (or
> object) containing the results of the diagnose, so that the developer
> can present his own report to the user.
>
> Obviously, the diagnose string/object would not return everything
> that checked out OK, but only the things that were problems, e.g.
>
> diagnose.errorCount
> diagnose.errorNum(i)
> diagnose.errorString(i)
>
> If there is, for example, an index error, we could simple repair the
> index for the user automatically. If the problems were more serious,
> such as a corrupted table, we could offer to rebuild the database by
> dump/import.

Good idea!

> We could run the diagnose every time a db is opened, too, to catch
> corruption errors early and warn our users before they become
> compounded and result in trashed databases (which does occasionally
> happen).
>
> What do you think?

Hi Jon,

I think String is not a problem.

Than more that internally we do build it as string originally...

I think we can add API functions

    db.Diagnose()

And yes, it is interesting idea to use object for this.
Of course it will require many changes in the current code...
Ech, could not you tell this 2-3 months ago. :-)

I think for 2.0 we need at least Diagnose() as string.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com