Diagnose

jda jda at his.com
Tue Oct 5 08:49:30 CDT 2004

Hi Ruslan,

You asked me to move this to the betas list, so here it is.

Once 2.0 is stable/released, I think a developer-oriented diagnose
would be very useful. As I imagine it, it would return a string (or
object) containing the results of the diagnose, so that the developer
can present his own report to the user.

Obviously, the diagnose string/object would not return everything
that checked out OK, but only the things that were problems, e.g.

diagnose.errorCount
diagnose.errorNum(i)
diagnose.errorString(i)

If there is, for example, an index error, we could simple repair the
index for the user automatically. If the problems were more serious,
such as a corrupted table, we could offer to rebuild the database by
dump/import.

We could run the diagnose every time a db is opened, too, to catch
corruption errors early and warn our users before they become
compounded and result in trashed databases (which does occasionally
happen).

What do you think?

Jon