[V4RB] Valentina 2.0 installation

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue May 11 21:23:45 CDT 2004

On 5/11/04 9:09 PM, "Frank Schima" <frank-list2 at mindstarprods.com> wrote:

>> I believe that we get problems similar to DLL hell,
>> Only if installation of Vcomponents folder is made into some
>>             __central__ place on computer.
>>
>> But IF Valentina developer will put Vcomponents folder into app folder,
>> Then no problems. On the same computer can live SEVERAL Valentina-made
>> applications and they will not conflict in any case, even if they will
>> use
>> different versions of Valentina.
>
> The problem is that now we cannot make a Valentina app that is a
> standalone file. Now we have to create a folder for our Valentina app
> and place this VComponents folder inside it. Now users will wonder what
> that is.
>
> I think we need to be able to optionally hide this folder from the user
> in some way. Maybe allow it to be in the "Application Support" folder
> (either from /Library or ~/Library) for the application?

You talk about central place.

> Also, I would rather be able to just add the VComponents inside my
> Realbasic app so it is not visible at all! Is this possible, at least
> as an option? As you know, a Mac OS X application is simply a folder. I
> know it will make the RB (or whatever) app much bigger, but I'm not too
> worried about that sometimes.
>
> So can we somehow have these 4 options (1. Your original method - in
> /Library/CFMSupport/), 2. Your proposal - Inside the same folder as the
> application, 3. Inside the "Application Support" folder, 4. Inside the
> app itself)?

NO PROBLEMS, Frank.
Yes we can make this easy.

For this we will have
    1) auto-search of Vcomponents folder in expected places
    2) Valentina developer will get function to say DIRECTLY
        where it is located.
        btw, this is nice to do in Valentina module

        Valentina.VComponentsPath = ...
        Valentina.icu8mbfilepath = ...

        Valentina.Init( cache, mac serial, win, ... )

---------
Another note. I have say that central place is bad idea.
But not always.

If developer develop some solution in RB and Driector
Then using central place for Vcomponents folder he will reduce total size of
solution.

The right way to do this:
    - create folder "MyCompany support"
    - keep here Vcomponents folder

So your Vcomponents folder will not conflict to others.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com