[V4RB] Valentina 2.0 installation

Frank Schima frank-list2 at mindstarprods.com
Tue May 11 14:09:17 CDT 2004

Hi Ruslan,

On May 11, 2004, at 1:27 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 5/11/04 6:05 PM, "Brendan Murphy" <bmurf at comcast.net> wrote:
>

> ATTENTION:
>
>     Please go to Valentina-beta list for 2.0 discussion

> ------------------------
>>> Valentina 2.0 is much more complex by structure,
>>> So it is many advantages to keep components separately.
>>> Valentina 2.0 have own plugin system.
>>
>> Please explain in more detail, what are these advantages? I want
>> to use 2.0 as I use 1.10 today as a totally embedded system within
>> my application. Having a separate folder next to my application is
>> just another support hassle I would rather avoid.
>
> I believe that we get problems similar to DLL hell,
> Only if installation of Vcomponents folder is made into some
>             __central__ place on computer.
>
> But IF Valentina developer will put Vcomponents folder into app folder,
> Then no problems. On the same computer can live SEVERAL Valentina-made
> applications and they will not conflict in any case, even if they will
> use
> different versions of Valentina.

The problem is that now we cannot make a Valentina app that is a
standalone file. Now we have to create a folder for our Valentina app
and place this VComponents folder inside it. Now users will wonder what
that is.

I think we need to be able to optionally hide this folder from the user
in some way. Maybe allow it to be in the "Application Support" folder
(either from /Library or ~/Library) for the application?

Also, I would rather be able to just add the VComponents inside my
Realbasic app so it is not visible at all! Is this possible, at least
as an option? As you know, a Mac OS X application is simply a folder. I
know it will make the RB (or whatever) app much bigger, but I'm not too
worried about that sometimes.

So can we somehow have these 4 options (1. Your original method - in
/Library/CFMSupport/), 2. Your proposal - Inside the same folder as the
application, 3. Inside the "Application Support" folder, 4. Inside the
app itself)?

> IF you SELF will not distribute separate .dlls from Vcomponents
> folder to
> your users then also no problems.
> If you decide to provide your users with some updates then this is up
> you. You can make installer to do that.

I agree with the philosophy, although it is generally not "Mac-like". I
think with the alternatives I propose it might make everyone happy?

>> Without further explanation of the benefits for you, my first
>> inclination is to say thumbs down on a separate components folder.
>> Adding complexity for my end users is not a feature in my eyes.
>
> Where you see complexity?
> Explain me please.

Most users expect a single clickable app. But honestly, many important
Mac applications are complex like this: Bias Peak, Adobe Photoshop,
Illustrator, InDesign, ok... every Adobe app :^).