2.0

jda jda at his.com
Wed Mar 10 20:44:58 CST 2004

>Okay then, balderdash! :-) We care. Your "too" excludes a good choice for
>Asia. Yes, you can store 2-byte info in UTF-8, its just not the choice that
>is optimal for the market. UTF-8 is going to be an option with Valentina 2.
>UTF-16 provides more choice for more markets.
>
>In many respects, Japan is as vibrant a software market as all of Europe
>combined, except that it's a single language market. It's a market we are
>targeting with Valentina 2.

I really don't disagree. But here's a reply I sent to Ruslan that
didn't make the list:

BTW, not to beat this to death, but ...Using the glory that is the
Internet, I found this recent report on MacNN:
http://www.macnn.com/news/23362

To quote the relevant bits about Apple's most recent SEC filing:

* Net sales in the Americas totaled $924 million, a 25% increase over
the year ago quarter
* Net sales in Europe were $240 million, a 48% boost.
* Sales in Japan totaled $157 million, a 14% increase.

So, Europe seems to have a healthy lead over Japan as far as Apple sales goes.

And with that, I will (hopefully) end this somewhat OT thread.

And on topic: even the partial list of new features and abilities looks great.

Jon