2.0

Lynn Fredricks fci at europa.com
Wed Mar 10 17:18:15 CST 2004

> >Hogwash. The second largest, single language software market in the
> >world is Japan. You may not be addressing the needs of that
> market in
> >your own products, but that doesn't reflect the software market in
> >general. UTF-16 doesn't take care of "the rest of us", it
> takes care of
> >all of us.
> >

> I'm getting this as a digest (hm, I thought I asked for single email
> mode. Oh well) so I'm late to respond.
>
> Hogwash yourself, Lynn :P. Who cares if it's the second largest
> single language market. It pales next to US + Europe. And UTF-8 takes
> care of all of us, too. I have no idea what you even mean by that
> statement -- at face value it is simply wrong.

Okay then, balderdash! :-) We care. Your "too" excludes a good choice for
Asia. Yes, you can store 2-byte info in UTF-8, its just not the choice that
is optimal for the market. UTF-8 is going to be an option with Valentina 2.
UTF-16 provides more choice for more markets.

In many respects, Japan is as vibrant a software market as all of Europe
combined, except that it's a single language market. It's a market we are
targeting with Valentina 2.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President