2.0

ron barber rbarber at yhb.att.ne.jp
Tue Mar 9 17:44:28 CST 2004

Ruslan,

On Mar 9, 2004, at 5:13 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> Storage on disk is other question.
> There is no final decision yet.
> May be we will allow assign on a field option how to store it on disk.
> We need check what is better.

I realize that everyone's requirements are different. I would vote for
speed over small storage in my particular case. The fewer conversions
the better. Currently my files are stored as SJIS and converted by
Revolution to UTF16 after Val retrieves them. My hope is that I can
store the files in UTF16 in Val originally and skip the Rev conversion
as well as any Val conversions.

At one point it seems that we discussed having an option to store as
UTF8 or UTF16? We now have text flds and vchar flds  so we would have 8
and 16 flds options. So Val is 16 capable but we can store our data as
either 8 or 16. But maybe my memory is not correct.

Ron